Eleven Kicking Goals students from Newman had the opportunity to be part of the Kicking Goals Perth Incentive Trip on the 28 - 31 July. They qualified for this trip by showing consistently good behaviour in class, being up to date with assessments, maintaining high uniform compliance in Kicking Goals classes as well as volunteering a number of hours in the Newman community, including KickIT coaching, boundary umpiring and work with other sporting groups
The trip was a reward for the high standards these students have set, both at school and in the community. On the trip the students had the opportunity to be involved in a number of activities, including ten pin bowling, a tour of the West Coast Eagles facilities, night mini-golf, attending a WAFL match as the guests of the Presidents Swan Districts Football Club, a MasterChef Challenge, playing an AFL Curtain Raiser on Domain Stadium, and watching an AFL match live. A lot of activity fit into three days!
We are very proud of the efforts and conduct of all the students who went on the trip, we received very complimentary feedback about how our students represented themselves, the Kicking Goals program, and Newman SHS.
The Curtain Raiser match saw our students combine with 12 Kicking Goals Students from Hedland SHS to play Kiara College. Whilst the result didn't go our way, the game was played in great spirit, every player got a touch of the footy, and it was hard to wipe the smiles off the players after the game as the got to play where their heroes from the AFL play.
Some of the many highlights of the trip included:
- Getting to hold the Baggy Green Cap of former Australian Cricket Captain Kim Hughes at the WAFL Presidents Lunch. Given that only 450 Baggy Green Caps have ever been issued, and they are valued from $30,000 to half a million dollars, this was a rare experience for our students.
- The Van Karaoke sessions as we moved from venue to venue
- Seeing the students step up in the Masterchef Challenge.
- Touring the inner sanctum of an AFL club, and seeing how players prepare and train for AFL football.
- Playing on Domain Stadium, and watching an AFL match live. For many of our students, this was the first time they had been to an AFL match, and played on an AFL ground!
We would like to congratulate the following students who won awards on the trip:
- Harry Parsons - for being awarded Best on Ground for Newman in the Curtain Raiser
- Macca Jolly - for being voted best on tour by his peers. What was also great to see was that every member of the touring party received a vote.
- The Year 9's - for narrowly winning the hotly contested Masterchef cooking Challenge!
I would like to thank Mr Natale and Ms Borrill for their help on the camp, the trip would not have gone as smoothly without their assistance.
We also appreciate the support of Lendlease for helping with the cost of the flights.
A big thankyou to Major Partner BHP for their ongoing support of Kicking Goals Program, your support enables us to give students these memorable experiences
For all students in the Kicking and Shooting Goals programs, the Year 9/10 Perth Incentive trips are a reward for sustained effort and high standards. For those in the Year 9/10 Kicking Goals Program in 2018, we look forward to next year’s trip!